Thursday, December 1, 2016

Christmas is here!

Living in such a hot Christmas world I find it hard some years to get excited about Christmas and finding the energy or inspiration to do too much Christmas Decorating but this year the lovely Katie Squire showed me a u-tube video that she had found using Pool Noodles for a Make Your Own Wreath  and got me excited, and now after getting Christmas Creative I am ready to get right into the Christmas groove, sometimes it just takes that one project.

You can find the video link below.  With a bundle of help from Danny with the wire etc I made a few changes - got rid of the need for a hot glue gun (I always make a mess).

This is how it went.
  1. Firstly as it was going in the shop window and going to be a substantially larger we threaded #8 fencing wire through the centre of the noodles  to form the shape of the wreath before taping it together with some duct tape.
  2. Wrap the wreath in tinsel (just some old leftovers from previous years)
  3. Tie on our greenery, this was leftover branches from an old Christmas tree - I tied these on with 6" Tulle Ribbon but you could use anything that looks decorative, even old torn up rags would work if you wanted to go for a vintage look.
  4. Thread the large baubles with the same Tulle and tie then on around the bottom.
  5. Using smaller baubles thread three baubles together with an alternative decorative ribbon - I used Silver for the top to blend with the tinsel, cream for the bottom so the ribbon stood out.
  6. Tie the bauble sets on.
  7. To hold the shape we have then tied Silver Craft Wire from the top to the bottom - just one strand the silver is barely visible and it is amazing how strong this stuff is.
  8. Finished it off with some hanging baubles and a couple of bells.
Other than the pool noodles, absolutely everything was here waiting for a home, either down in the bottom of my Christmas box, the #8 wire was in the shed and some ribbon and craft wire from my craft box.  so this project was two $3 pool noodles, $6 in total and I am pretty happy with the result!

Video Tutorial


No comments: